Friday, April 16, 2010

Dog Days of Winter

Yes, yes, I know it should say summer, but we had a busy dog winter.  For some odd reason--at least to Jon--I decided we should add a second dog to our household.  I felt like Fancy needed a friend to play with while we were gone several hours of the day during the school year.  Fancy has been a good dog for the past year and she gives us little trouble. 

I am all about adopting pets and spent countless hours on http://www.petfinder.com/ searching for another miniature schnauzer.  This breed seems to suit our family well.  From what I read, it seemed we needed to find a male, since same sex dogs tend to fight more.

We fostered a dog that didn't work out because he didn't like men AT ALL.  We tend to have a few of those up and coming in our household, so unfortunately we gave him back.  Then I found the cutest little pup on petfinder.  After having an older dog, we decided Fancy would get along better with a pup since she likes to be the Top Dog.  She has had many a pup in her day and will not be having any more. 

So, Jon and Emmi and I drove to northwest Ohio where we found Gipper.  I knew he was the one.  This is the picture the boarder had sent me.  (I have other pics, but Jon has my camera and I'm a bit behind at uploading them.)  He has been one little black ball of energy from day one.  I don't think we were quite ready for that!  However, he and Fancy made fast friends and play together daily!  He housetrained fairly quickly and has finally lost his puppy teeth.  It has been like having another kid again, which I think is my mothering instinct kicking back in.  You know it has been so used to having babies every 3 years!  Gipper adores everyone in the family, including Jon.  I think Jon even likes him, too.  Now if I can just get him to stop barking at every one he meets...the dog, not Jon.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment